How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116728
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On April 1, 2013 an Attorney for a defendant that stole $ 46,400.00

This answer was rated:

On April 1, 2013 an Attorney for a defendant that stole $ 46,400.00 of property filed a Motion for a Note of Issue or a Motion to Dismiss Case.
On May 25, 2013 I filed a Note of Issue and paid $ 95.00 to Clerk.
On July 1, 2013 Attorney filed a Motion to Dismiss.
On July 10, 2013 I received a Decision and Order dismissing my case with Prejudice.

Was this legal after I filed the Note of Issue to go to trial?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you filed your note of issue before the dismissal was entered, you need to file a motion to vacate the dismissal based on that filing. It may have been that in issuing the dismissal, the court did not see the note of issue being filed and that is why they dismissed. If the note of issue was filed, the court should not have dismissed and should vacate the dismissal and if they do not, then you must file a notice of appeal within 10 days and file your appeal to the appellate division to vacate the dismissal as being improperly entered as courts favor trial on the merits.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should I request the Clerk for something that shows the Note of Issue filed?

I received a copy of cancelled check for $ 95.00.

You should have a copy of your stamped filed note of issue, but if you do not have a copy, you can get a copy from the clerk to attach to your motion to vacate.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you