How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,my parents divorced in1992 my mother was receiving

This answer was rated:

Hello,my parents divorced in1992 my mother was receiving court ordered community property interest of my fathers monthly retirement..$352.o0 my mother passed awaymarch7th2013, the court order also provides that if my mother were to predecease my father,her community property share of his retirement allowance is to continue to be paid to her heirs, there are three of us.$117.oo each. My two older siblings Have a different father than I. We have the same mother only,I refuse to take this from my father, my two half siblings want to claim their share, my father is87,and in poor health.I asked them to waive their share,for my father needs money for his expenses, they both are doing good financially but are putting their greed in front of familyq. How do I go about getting a judget to revert my fathers retirement back for himself
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If the order states the payment goes to the heirs, if you renounce your share then your share goes to the other heirs I am afraid. If you want the money to go back to your father, then you need to take the money and return it to your father each month when you receive it. The court will not order your share returned to your father from the estate, it will go to the other heirs of the estate.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is thetr any way to petition the order,adking the court to clarify ,the order, basically the other two siblings dont care at all about my father, they want there 117 a month. i want to stop payment to them.i woild like a judge to reveiw the order,and chsnge the order so no one gets his retirement

Thank you for your response.

I am afraid that you do not have standing to pursue such a change, that was up to your mom to pursue when the court awarded it. Your only recourse in this if your siblings will not sign off would be to turn over your share to your dad, because the probate court would not have authority to change the divorce court decision.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so really there is nothing i can do to help my dad other than returning to him my share,? i cant go to the probate division and ask to review, does anyone have the authority to change the order.i know its beyond yoir control, but this is wrong, i appreciate you their any legal help for military vets i can go too,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is there anything i can do to have this changed?

I am sorry to say that your mom had to seek to change it when it was entered as a court order. It is now too late for you to change it and you do not have legal standing I am sorry to say to do so as this was between your mom and your dad, not the heirs.

Yes it is wrong to you, but the retirement money was part of her estate from the period of marriage, so the court had to give it to her and as such it passed to her heirs.

I am afraid the only thing you can do is give your share back to your dad at this point.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for your time, its too bad these things get ugly as mine has, ive lost all respect for the other two involved, have a great day

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is a shame what happens when people die. Heirs can turn into greedy vultures and it is a shame indeed, but in this type of case the claim was something that was decided at the time of the divorce, so it is too late to change it now and your mom needed to do that when the order was entered.