How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55285
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

someone burned my property, where do i stand

This answer was rated:

someone burned my property, where do i stand
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Can you elaborate a bit more on the facts of your situation so I can be sure to provide you complete and accurate information? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the property owner started a fire on her property and left the premisis. the fire jumped over to my property and burned my hay pasture a calf barn and my fence. my husband spoke with her breifly and the first words out of her mouth was if we were looking for money she doesn't have any. she will not return my calls, and she has seen the property that burned and says the calf barn is not worth anything anyway. by the way she is an attorney. can you tell me law and how i should handle this.

Thanks for following up. On the civil side, you should pursue her for monetary damages. Since she started this fire intentionally, you would be entitled not only to your actual damages, but also punitive damages over and above your actual damages. Then, once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment. Unfortunately, Texas is one of only 4 states that does not allow wage garnishment.

On the criminal side, you can contact the district attorney's office and pursue criminal prosecution for arson.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

with her being an attorney, do you think i stand a chance. i have witnesses and pictures of the damage. or do you think i should just back down and not pursue.

Thanks for your reply. Being an attorney is not going to give her any advantage in court. In fact, being an attorney, the court may actually cause her to be at a disadvantage because an attorney should know better. I think you'll do fine in court and if I were you, I would definitely pursue action against her.
Richard and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is:

Related Legal Questions