How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 94 year old father had a severe episode of back pain due

This answer was rated:

My 94 year old father had a severe episode of back pain due to stenosis about 2 months ago. He is an otherwise 100% functioning man, drives, takes care of himself, is a nationally rated table tennis tournament player living in Laguna Woods. He is also still incredibly sharp witted.
His Kaiser doctor, Richard Noceda was his primary care doctor told him surgery was not adoption due to his age. He was prescribed pain medications which did not help, then morphine. I have never witnessed my father become as unfunctional as he became, having to have 24 hour, 7 day a week caregivers at 12k per month following an emergency room episode from morphine is now 2 months post the exacerbation of his spine, he is now nearly pain free and soon to have nerve decompression microsurgery after losing over 2 months of his life, and back to his old self except for table tennis due to still not having fully recuperated his strength because of Dr. Noceda's negligence in Rx morphine to him.


My name isXXXXX'm a licensed attorney and registered nurse with medical malpractice litigation experience. I very much appreciate your patronage, and am glad to try and help out. I am genuinely sorry for your father's predicament and sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the very best in terms of his health.

Here is how this works. To see if you have viable grounds for filing suit, you must have your father's case screened on the merits by a plaintiffs' trial attorney. That is the only way this can be accomplished, so the first step is to submit the matter for a review. If an attorney accepts the case pursuant to the customary contingency fee agreement there would be no up-front charges to you. Rather, your legal counsel would only get paid out of the proceeds of a verdict or settlement if he or she were successful in obtaining a favorable outcome and winning the case on your father's behalf. This can only be done through having a lawyer review your circumstances followed by a proper medical evaluation. It also requires having an expert medical witness(es) review your father's medical records. Your attorney would arrange for that review and coordinate everything along those lines.

To help folks in this online venue, I am required to follow site rules including refraining from accepting cases and/or making direct referrals to named attorneys. However, I can tell you where I would turn were I in your very shoes. Toward that end, my very next step would be to take advantage of the resources of the non-profit, American Bar Association accredited, National Board of Trial Advocacy Division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification. Here is a listing of all such Board Certified Civil Trial Advocates practicing in your jurisdiction: California.

That's the size of things, and you certainly have solid reason to proceed with such a review as you advocate on behalf of your father.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for your father. I commend you for being an obviously caring adult child. He's fortunate indeed to have you in his corner.

Take care,

Ben, J.D., R.N.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no attorney listed in Lguna woods, calif. now what?
Hello again,
Thanks so much for writing back...great to hear from you!
When it comes to this type of tort law litigation practice, it's extremely common for a given attorney to provide state-wide (or even multi-state) coverage. In other words, geographic distance is not at all a serious impediment. I would suggest seeking out a trial lawyer within a reasonable distance from your area. For example, say Irvine or elsewhere within Orange Count would be perfectly fine.
Hope that helps some's been a pleasure interacting with you!
Take care,
Ben, J.D., R.N.
LawHelpNow and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm upset about being charged $45 for your services wheals you did was refer me to look for an attorney. Really? I could've figured that out, but thought I was submitting my case for consideration of representation, like an initial consult. I feel like I got ripped off.

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.


Ben, J.D., R.N.