How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am getting sued for a medical bill, do i have to go to court,can

This answer was rated:

i am getting sued for a medical bill, do i have to go to court,can i call their lawyer & make arragements to start a payment plan. do i tell them i forgot about this bill, due to some personal problems
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Have they already filed suit? How much was this debt for? Are you able to pay the debt outright or would you need a payment plan?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i received a summons on 07/13/2013 the filed date was on 07/01/2013 i just received summons on 07/13/2013 the debt is for 1221.75 plus lawyers fees & all other fees to be paid by me.i can not pay in full at this time, but would like to set up a payment plan , should i call their lawyer to do that. and they want a written letter and want me to file with clerk of court and pay a $71.00 filing fee . help

Thank you for your follow-up, Dawn.

Speaking as a former collections attorney, even before a judgment is held, you CAN contact the creditor and you can still negotiate or set up some sort of a payment plan. Typically your ability to et this resolved improves if you can pay the debt off in full, but even a payment is possible--just ask them to waive all or part of the late fees and interest, and attorney fees, and then work with you on a payment plan that can work. You can likewise go to court anyway where they can ask for a judgment to be entered against you that would not be recorded but would instead be thrown out once you make all the payments on time. If you fail to pay, then the judgment becomes binding (it is usually for more money), and you would instead be forced to pay that amount instead. This gives them the ability to agree to less and to allow you to pay as they would have recourse should you default.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you