How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102350
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I file for a continuance for a divorce Summons in the

This answer was rated:

How do I file for a continuance for a divorce Summons in the State of Kansas
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Actually, a Motion for Continuance may not get you an extension to file an answer. It is best for someone in your situation to file a bare-bones answer and then when you get an attorney, to have it amended to include specifically what you seek in the divorce. Did you need a sample Answer to do so?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am aware what I have to do as far as submitting the paper for a continuance but I am not sure what the correct paper work is for the state of Kansas or where to find it? That was my question and what I was told to do by the county clerks office. Do you understand the my issue now.

Well a continuance is used when a HEARING or a TRIAL date needs to be moved because of an issue. Here, there is no HEARING or TRIAL, but simply the need to answer the suit.

As such, you would need to file an Answer. I am including a sample below:

[caption] - TITLE AND PARTIES (just copy of their filing)


NOW COMES Respondent, YOUR NAME, named Respondent in the above-entitled and numbered cause, and files this Answer, and shows the Court:

Respondent denies each and every allegation of Petitioner's Complaint, and demands strict proof thereof as required by rules of evidence and procedure for the State of Kansas.

Respondent prays the Court, after notice and hearing or trial, enters judgment in favor of Respondent, awards Respondent the costs of court, attorney's fees, and such other and further relief as Respondent may be entitled to in law or in equity.

Respectfully submitted,
Your Signature
Your name



I certify that on (date filed) a true and correct copy of Respondent's Answer was served to the opposing party.

Your Signature
Your name

This is just a sample. This should be enough to satisfy the Court. Your attorney can amend the decree as necessary later when you retain them.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you