Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have asked for a copy of my lab results and treadmilltest I

I have asked for a...
I have asked for a copy of my lab results and treadmilltest
I was told that if the Doctor hasn't seen them, that they cannot be released to me
is this true?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/15/2013
Tina, Lawyer

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Is there any indication as to why the doctor has not seen the results yet?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

He works between 2 clinics and today is his day off.

I see.

Where a patient requests a copy of their medical records, a provider must typically provide the patient with a copy of their records within a reasonable time. The law does not require that access be granted immediately, but within 30 days normally.

Here is a link which summarizes this federal law:

http://www.peoplechart.com/HIPAA.aspx

If the medical provider violates this law, a complaint should be made to the federal Dept. of Health and Human Services, shich can investigate and assess penalties against the provider if appropriate. Here is a link to file a complaint:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.

Tina, Lawyer