Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

can a parent confiscate a childs stuff, like a I-pad, if they

can a parent confiscate a child's stuff, like a I-pad, if they don't do their homework

TexLawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

I'm assuming this is a minor child, correct>

TexLawyer :

?

Customer:

yes. I won't let him have his stuff: skateboard, I-pod, etc., because he refused to do his homework and chores.

TexLawyer :

Are you asking if you can legally prevent him from using those things?

TexLawyer :

I just want to be sure I completely understand the nature of your question.

Customer:

My son is thirteen and has a history of behavior problems. With the help of a lot of counseling and research, I follow a behavioral plan with him at home. If he completes his chores and homework, he gets to use his I-pod, skateboard, etc. He refused to do them and has run over to his mother's house --we're divorced and will be sharing custody of him-- and is now demanding his things. His mother says I have to give them to him. As a matter of fact, a local police officer says they're his things.

TexLawyer :

Who bought the things for him?

Customer:

In some cases, I did, in others grandparents, but with the understanding that I controlled them of course.

TexLawyer :

OK, but it was not your ex wife, correct?

Customer:

No, it was not my ex-wife.

TexLawyer :

In that case, you don't have to give him those things back. As a minor, he essentially has no legal property rights. His things are not really "his things," they are his parents' things that they let him use.

TexLawyer :

You are under no legal obligation to give him his iPad, skateboard, etc.

TexLawyer :

In fact, it sounds like you are just being a good parent.

Customer:

I live in California. where could I find that information in a form that I could show any interested parties?

TexLawyer :

There isn't a statute on point, it is just what's known as "common law."

TexLawyer :

"Common law" is generally understood legal princliples, that aren't necessarily made into statutes.

Customer:

could you indicate a source that I could use to support my position if i'm challenged again, as I know I will be?

TexLawyer :

I don't think there is a specific source or document I could refer you to. Like I said, it is "common law" or legal principles commonly understood to be the law.

Customer:

okay thank you..

TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

TexLawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Customer:

no , that was my question, thank you

TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

TexLawyer :

If I can't do anything else for you, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck.

Thanks for the positive rating. If you have any questions in the future, you can direct them to me here: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-texlawyer/
Hi, Robert. I just wanted to follow up with you and see how things went with your son and "his" property. If you have any questions in the future, don't hesitate to ask.