How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a judgment against me for damages that were based off

This answer was rated:

i have a judgment against me for damages that were based off an estimate only. there was no damage to the property and was rented out 24hr after I moved out. This landlord has no intention of fixing anything and even stated this to me but I have no way of proving it. I cant pay $2300 in trumped up estimates when I cant even afford a legal defense who could have possibly saved me from this judgement. I have pictures of every wal;l and floor in the house before I left. Please help.

Thank you for your question.

How long ago did the court issue the judgment against you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Sorry, one more question.

Did you file an answer in the case and did you appear at the court to contest the claim?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we filed and went to court. Took our pictures showing no damages to the house. The only damage was to an area of the carpet that was scratched up from a previous tenant pet owner, the landlords son cut the strands and rented it to us. It was something we could live with, but now he charged us for damaging the carpet.

Why did the court ignore the pictures you provided showing that there was not any damage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that we do not know. The landlord had hand written estimates and when i asked how I can be sued for estimates the judge actually opened a book and showed me the provision or law stating they can do that. Then when i pay the judgment the work never has to be done. If i had damaged anything I would have fixed any damages but his lawyer told him to not respond to our letters asking for either our deposit back or list of damages. He straight up took me to court and won money for no work done. It baffles me how these landlords do this and get away with it. I have to find out how to appeal this and beat it.

I agree. Your only option here is to file an appeal. Your appeal would be that the court's decisions was against the greater weight of the evidence (i.e., your photographs disproved that there was any damage which was incurred and thus there should be no liability found against you).

Can you tell me what court this was in so that I can see if I can locate an appeal package for you online?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

County of Mercer

Mag Dist No MDJ-35-2-01

Judge Dennis Songer


Sharon, PA 16146


Docket MJ-35201-CV-0000106-2013


You will need to file the following document:

You will need to follow the steps outlined in this guide booklet in your appeal:

You must file the appeal within 30 days of the issuance of the judgment by the court.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Know any good lawyers in the are that specialize in this area?

The only lawyers I know are in Philadelphia, however, the website prohibits me from directly referring them to you.

Thank you for the rating, I hope this has helped you.