Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My son is starting his own lawn care business. Does he need

to have a checking account...
My son is starting his own lawn care business. Does he need to have a checking account in the name of his business, or would it be okay to continue using his personal account - I am thinking in terms of tax purposes. He has no one working with him.
7/12/2013
Richard, Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Is this business going to be a sole proprietorship? Or, is he going to form a limited liability entity? Thanks.

sole proprietorship

Thank you. As a sole proprietorship, it is not absolutely necessary to have a separate bank account, but it is highly recommended for just the reason you suggest. When he prepares a tax return for this business, he will report the activities of the business on Schedule C. It will be helpful in preparing his return and very important should he get audited to have a separate and distinct paper trail of what sources and uses of money are related to his business and what sources and uses are not. If he has a separate account into which he deposits all his income and pays all his bills, it will be a much easier route for him in any audit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Attorney
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Richard, Attorney