How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Pennsylvania but I hired a lawyer in California because

Customer Question

I live in Pennsylvania but I hired a lawyer in California because I was embarrassed and didn't want anyone to find out I was having debt issues. Unfortunately, the lawyer I chose, Philip A. Kramer, put me further in debt and terrible credit damage. In choosing a lawyer to represent me against this lawyer, Philip A. Kramer, should I choose one from Penna. or Calif.?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 years ago.

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would like to assist you today. The proper venue for this matter is most likely in California. (I do not know the way in which your debt work was to be structured, but if you hired an attorney in California for the purpose of having them conduct the work away from your home state, there would be a strong presumption against proper venue in Penn.).

With that being said, you can find a professional liability (or legal malpractice lawyer in particular) in California, or one in Pennsyvlania that is also licensed in California if you are willing to pay for some travel expenses (most cases resolve with relatively few personal appearances, but it is a risk with out of state counsel).

William B. Esq. :

To find a legal malpractice attorney in California, you can locate one through the California Bar Association, Martindale Hubble, or AVVO.

William B. Esq. :

I hope that my answer was of assistance to you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you for your business!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 years ago.
Dear Customer,

My apologies, it was just brought to my attention (less than 30 minutes ago) that due to a tech error, none of my answers from earlier today were posted. I am relisting my responses as quickly as possible.

You should hire an attorney that is licensed and can practice in California to pursue a legal malpractice claim against this individual. The issues with personal jurisdiction and venue appear to show that the proper place to file suit is in California, while you can retain an attorney in Pennsylvania, that is also licensed in California, you will likely pay a premium in travel expenses and the additional costs of an attorney working in a jurisdiction they do not usually practice in.

You can find California attorneys through; Martindale Hubble; and AVVO.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience, please let me know if you have any follow up questions (your post has been moved to a separate computer format from the one that lost my earlier answer).