How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37349
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was legal guardian of my mothers affairs. She was in a

This answer was rated:

I was legal guardian of my mother's affairs. She was in a nursing home with only income going directly the home. She died last August and left with a couple hundred dollars that went away quickly for incidentals around her prepaid funeral.
Now I am being billed for medicine bills amounting to nearly $3,000. Am I responsible for them?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
Are you being billed personally, or as her guardian?
Did you ever sign any type of financial responsibility form agreeing to pay for her care?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. Bills to her through me.


Then no, as long as you have not signed any financial responsibility forms with the home or other medical care provider, you can not be held personally responsible for any of her bills. Only her estate can be held liable and if she has no assets, then the creditors just take a loss and end up writing off the debt on their taxes.
You can return the bills with a post it note on it that states "Deceased, estate insolvent" and they should stop sending bills after a while.
Barrister and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you