Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Im not sure if a lawyer is the correct individual to ask but

I'm not sure if a...
I'm not sure if a lawyer is the correct individual to ask but I'll ask nonetheless. I've been receiving correspondence from a number of different companies over the last three years regarding unclaimed funds in my name. They all have an old address that I use to live at and a similar amount that seems to be increasing at a reasonable interest rate. I initially thought it a scam since I've been unable to confirm on any unclaimed property website. Is it possible that these companies/individuals would actually have access to more information than the average person would?
7/11/2013
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Have you actually checked with the Georgia Department of Revenue's Unclaimed Property site? Have these companies given you any indication of the unclaimed property that you allegedly are due?

Customer:

Yes. Yes.

ScottyMacEsq :

What is the unclaimed property that they have said that you're due?

Customer:

Initially around $10,000. It has since grown a little.

ScottyMacEsq :

Have you been told the source of these funds?

Customer:

If they would have told me the source, I would have contacted the source. They will only provide if I agree to paying a third of the funds.

ScottyMacEsq :

How many companies have contacted you about this?

Customer:

At least three but that's since I've started counting. Initially, I threw all those letters in the trash.

ScottyMacEsq :

to answer your question, it's not so much that they have access to more information the average person would, but rather that they have a way of distilling large amounts of information better than others. that is, all this information is still public records, however some sources are not the type of public records that the large unclaimed property websites will use.

ScottyMacEsq :

It's like saying that a public library is a source available to the public, however if people don't use the library, they are not going to know what's in it.

ScottyMacEsq :

the unclaimed property websites typically will take their information from the state unclaimed property websites.

ScottyMacEsq :

But there could be unclaimed property that is held with probate courts, for instance. That could be if you were named as an heir to a will.

Customer:

Yes, but I reviewed various state unclaimed property websites.

Customer:

Probate courts is something I didn't consider.

Customer:

My wife passed about eight years ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

I understand. Like I said these are not perfect, and only have monies that are remitted to the comptrollers of those states.

ScottyMacEsq :

It's entirely possible that this could be through that or some other court.

ScottyMacEsq :

It could also be some other court judgment in a different court.

ScottyMacEsq :

I would contact court clerks and ask if there are any monies in the "registry" for you.

ScottyMacEsq :

these companies that find lost assets go much deeper than just the state unclaimed property websites, but that does not mean that they are using assets that are not available to the general public. They just search and accrue information among thousands and thousands of databases, because that is how they make their money.

ScottyMacEsq :

and in a lot of instances the information is not even otherwise available online, if the county does not have a good system for putting information online.

Customer:

I assume since their are multiple courts, then there are a number of clerks to contact.

Customer:

Also, add to that all the states I've lived in.

ScottyMacEsq :

You can attempt to contact the probate clerk ( there is only one probate clerk in each county).

ScottyMacEsq :

I guess so...

Customer:

Gotcha. But if it's due to a judgement or some other court area

Customer:

Then, I would have to contact that specific court as well.

ScottyMacEsq :

Exactly.

Customer:

Or, is there a central "registry"?

ScottyMacEsq :

And lack of knowledge makes it a needle in a haystack.

ScottyMacEsq :

No.

ScottyMacEsq :

That's why companies like this can make a living.

Customer:

Wonderful work Scotty!

ScottyMacEsq :

My pleasure, and I do wish you the best of luck in this matter. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

Customer:

this was definitely worth it. I gotta run now.

Customer:

Thanks Scott.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney