How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I know which collection agency bought my 2nd mortgage

This answer was rated:

How can I know which collection agency bought my 2nd mortgage from Chase, if it was discharged on the Bankruptcy Chapter 7 on Aug 2009? I paid the 2ND mortgage after the bankruptcy until Jan 2012. Now, I have been calling chase in order to do a settlement for release the lien, but they can't find any loan number under my name o social security. I need to contact the Collection agency, but Chase don't have any idea or information about my 2nd Mortgage, they discharged off on Jul, 2012.
How can i get the name or phone number for the Collection agency?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

That is most strange, typically the lender who sold the debt should have retained the information as to whom the debt was transferred to. If you tried Chase and tried collections, the only possible final option remaining may be to contact the three credit bureaus, namely Experian, Equifax, and Transunion. Consider going to their sites and pulling full credit reports. Most of the time when the debt is sold off to someone else, that new party records their interest and sends their information to the bureaus. Then, once that information is uploaded, you will likewise be able to see that information when you pull your own file. Other than getting lucky with the former lender, this is the only option remaining that has a fairly good chance of getting you this information.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can't not see on my credit report, because as I told you before, the loan was discharge off on Bankruptcy Chapter 7 on Aug 2009. From that time any information regarding the loan has not been reported to any bureaus.

I am proteged for the Bankruptcy, but I want to contact the collection agency in order to negotiate a settlement to release the lien in the property, because I want to keep the property.

Thank you for your follow-up.

Have you been contacted by anyone? Did the creditor place a lien or encumbrance against the title of your property?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No nobody has contact me never, but I know that I have a lien on the property because I called to the Salt Lake county, Recorded department and they told me I have a lien on my home for $52.000 for Home American Mortgage from Jun 2006, but this mortgage was when I bought the property on 2006. They sold this loan to Chase long time ago , before the bankruptcy.

I called the Home American Mortgage and they dont' have any current loan under my name, just told me they sold or transfered on 2007.

And they told me the lien is going to be on the property until I paid off the loan.

That is where they are wrong (pertaining to the lien being on the property until paid off). A lien, if placed on the property, must have the name particulars of the person or entity who filed it. Consequently your county recording office should have a record of the filing, and that is where you would be able to get the name of the agency and how to get a hold of them. If you cannot, you can go to court and file for a 'quiet title' action, which is a request that the judge remove all liens and encumbrances that cannot be contacted or improperly were put on the property. If this lien was improperly filed and their information is not listed, when you file for quiet title, you would be unable to serve them with the ability to contest the quiet title petition. Then, when you appear in court and they do not, they lose out on their lien, and you get your property back, free and clear.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you