Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

In Pa, can a CRNP own their own sole practice, and where can

Customer Question
I find documentation on this...
In Pa, can a CRNP own their own sole practice, and where can I find documentation on this please?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/11/2013
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 4 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I happen to be a Pennsylvania licensed professional and will do my best to assist you this evening.

Please give me a few moments, I am running a check for medical regulations and will be able to provide you an answer within the next 15-20 minutes.

Thank you for your patience, Joseph. I believe I found the correct authority for you.

Under PA law, a PA cannot own or control their own practice. That is specifically forbidden under § 18.152 which bars PA from anything but being agents for the physician. Here is the full statute below:

§ 18.152. Prohibitions.

(a) A physician assistant may not:

(1) Provide medical services except as described in the written agreement.

(2) Prescribe or dispense drugs except as described in the written agreement.

(3) Maintain or manage a satellite location under § 18.155 (relating to satellite locations) unless the maintenance or management is registered with the Board.

(4) Independently practice or bill patients for services provided.

(5) Independently delegate a task specifically assigned to him by the supervising physician to another health care provider.

(6) List his name independently in a telephone directory or other directory for public use in a manner which indicates that he functions as an independent practitioner.

(7) Perform acupuncture except as permitted by section 13(k) of the act (63 P. S. § 422.13(k)).

(8) Perform a medical service without the supervision of a supervising physician.

(b) A supervising physician may not:

(1) Permit a physician assistant to engage in conduct proscribed in subsection (a).

(2) Have primary responsibility for more than two physician assistants.

You can find the full regulatory authority for Physician Assistants below:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter18/subchapDtoc.html

The full code for regulations are likewise listed below:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter18/chap18toc.html

I found nothing expressly on point for CRNP, which would mean that they would be governed under PA requirements that I have provided above.

Good luck.

Poor working knowledge of CRNP's in Pennsylvania.
Joseph,

I wish you lots of luck, and I appreciate you rating my answer, which is exactly out of Pennsylvania Code, as wrong. Before I provided you with an answer I searched out both PA professional codes and the medical codes to ensure that the answer provided to you is accurate. I likewise appreciate the fact that you know that I have 'poor working knowledge', but you still somehow need me to research and find this answer for you. Take care.
Yes, for confirmation of my knowledge, in specific codes.

Here is the CNRP code:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter21/subchapCtoc.html

§ 21.282a. CRNP Practice.

(a) A CRNP may collaborate only with physicians who hold a current license to practice in this Commonwealth.

(b) When acting in collaboration with a physician as set forth in a collaborative agreement and within the CRNP’s specialty, a CRNP may:

(1) Perform comprehensive assessments of patients and establish medical diagnoses.

(2) Order, perform and supervise diagnostic tests for patients and, to the extent the interpretation of diagnostic tests is within the scope of the CRNP’s specialty and consistent with the collaborative agreement, may interpret diagnostic tests.

(3) Initiate referrals to and consultations with other licensed professional health care providers, and consult with other licensed professional health care providers at their request.

(4) Develop and implement treatment plans, including issuing orders to implement treatment plans. However, only a CRNP with current prescriptive authority approval may develop and implement treatment plans for pharmaceutical treatments.

(5) Complete admission and discharge summaries.

(6) Order blood and blood components for patients.

(7) Order dietary plans for patients.

(8) Order home health and hospice care.

(9) Order durable medical equipment.

(10) Issue oral orders to the extent permitted by the health care facilities’ by-laws, rules, regulations or administrative policies and guidelines.

(11) Make physical therapy and dietitian referrals.

(12) Make respiratory and occupational therapy referrals.

(13) Perform disability assessments for the program providing temporary assistance to needy families (TANF).

(14) Issue homebound schooling certifications.

(15) Perform and sign the initial assessment of methadone treatment evaluations, provided that any order for methadone treatment shall be made only by a physician.

(c) The provisions of this section are subject to limitation as set forth in section 8.2(c.2) of the act (63 P. S. § 218.2(c.2)), regarding the authority of state agencies and health care facilities.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney