Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I worked 9 months for a company contractions with the PA DOC. Now,

I worked 9 months for...
I worked 9 months for a company contractions with the PA DOC.
Now, after an argument with a DOC employee, I have been transferred and asked to fill a clearance request for employment for PA State.
Do I fill and sign this request or refuse?
Thank you
7/10/2013
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Pennsylvania Licensed, Practicing Attorney and would be glad to help with your question,

Is there a specific reason why you do not want to file for a Clearance, other than the argument you had with another employee in the Department of Corrections ?

No, but why now? They are probably trying to find/make an excuse to say I have no clearance and terminate my employment. Then I will have to repay them my bonus and cannot apply for unemployment. They also want to check my credit.

1. Did the Department of Corrections do a background check before they hired you ?

2. If so, did they find anything ?

3. Is there anything that has changed since they did the last background check on you ?

1 - No
2- No
3- No

Thank you for your additional information,

Before the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections hires anyone, they always do a background check, so I am surprised that they did not do a background check when they first hired you.

If there is nothing in your background that would cause you concern, then I believe that if you refused to file for a Clearance, they could use that as an excuse to fire you. Even if they did find something in your background, they would not make you pay back your bonus because it is something you already earned.

As for running a credit check, that has become standard practice among most employers in today's job market. This gives them a better idea if the individual is responsible, or not. They do not place as much emphasis on the amount of credit that you have as they do on whether or not you pay your bills on time. If you have some late payments, but you can explain the reason for the late payment, that is fine also. Everybody has a late payment now and then, we are human and we are not perfect. So, please do not think that this is something that they will use as an excuse to fire you because it is not an excuse at all and it certainly would not disqualify you from receiving Unemployment Compensation Benefits.

If you feel that there is something that you want to explain to the warden, then by all means, you should feel free to do so,

I realize that this is not the exact Answer you were hoping for and it would have given me great pleasure to give you the exact Answer you wanted to hear, but I have an ethical obligation to you to give you only correct Answers and information, so I am respectfully asking that you not hold the Pennsylvania law applicable to your situation against me,

____________________________________________________________________________

If I have not Answered your question completely, please use the "Reply" button to let me know and I will be glad to explain further,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

I work for Wexford not the DOC. The job is at the DOC. The bonus is my recruiting bonus if I leave or made to leave less than one year. Being transferred and demoted gives me right to unemployment?

Being transferred does not make you eligible for unemployment compensation benefits. If, however, you quite because you are demoted and your earnings are substantially less than before, you would then qualify for unemployment compensation benefits. If you do not quit, but accept the lower wages, then you would not qualify for unemployment compensation benefits.

_________________________________________________________________________

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
If I send you the letter I am writing the superintendent, would you edit it forme?

Yes, I could, but it would have to be posted as a new question. You can ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question,

ANDREA

But you offered to answer for a week.
And what is your e-mail address? Thanks

The Attorneys in the Legal categories can only Answer questions, we are not authorized to make any offers. If any offers were made, they probably came from Customer Service. Please speak to them - [email protected]

ANDREA

I understand. So will make it another question. What's your mailing address to send you the letter?
Thanks

The website does not allow us to communicate with customers outside of this forum, so I am not allowed to give you my email address. You can send it as an attachment by clicking on the paper clip at the top of your question and reply box,

ANDREA

There is no paper clip

If you look at the very top, you will see a "smiley face", then a paper clip, then "You Tube".

If you do not see them, then put your question on a new question page. Did you put an additional deposit ? That would be required for a new question. Start your question with "For Andrea .......... "

I sent an e-mail as u told me, they did not answer. The letter is 2 pages how an I get it to you?
Maybe you should put it on a new question page. At the top, you will see a line of several things like, B (for bold), I (for Italics) U (for underline) and so on. Then, further to the right, you will see the "smiley face" , an "insert/edit" link, then you will see the paper clip. If you click onto that, it will give you instructions on what to do next to send it as an attachment. When you open a new question page, you must place an additional deposit. As I said, any offer which may have been extended to you was from Customer Service and you should speak with them at [email protected]
I think this line is on your screen only. All what's on top is " just answer" and " legal". Nothing else, sorry I am trying.
I have to apologize because I do not know what the problem is. Other customers have been able to send things as "Attachments", so I do not know what to say. Try opening a new question page since this is a new question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney