How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34497
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued for back medical bills My court date is Friday. I have requested money fro

This answer was rated:

I am being sued for back medical bills My court date is Friday. I have requested money from my retirement butit is taking longer than i thought. How can i get this reduced or settle before Friday. Can i call the attorney and work out a deal?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question nd provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

There is nothing illegal or improper about contacting the attorney to attempt to settle. The more difficult you make collection, the more likely they will be willing to settle. therefore, if you have a defense or excuse to delay the maater, that would help you.

They will want to get as much upfront as they can and then they may allow monthly payments. They will want to enter the settlemet as a judgment.

The other possibility is you can ask for a continuance to speak with an attorney to buy yourself more time.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Loren and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have no money up front to bargin with. As i stated i am waiting on hardship withdrawl.If i do get an agreement do i have to appear in court.

Thank you for following up with me.

To answer your question directly, yes, even if you arrive at a settlememt ou would want to appear to ensure that the terms are entered as an order and they do not try to get a default judgment against you.

Your retirement account is exempt from creditor claims.

Therefore, if you have no assets besides your retirement account then you may be judgment proof. That means that even if the medical provider obtained a judgment against you, they could not enforce it.

In any event, the best course for right now may be to request a continuance to get a little breathing room. I would not invade the exempt retirement account without examining alternative options, such as bankruptcy.

I hope this is helpful.