How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in CA, and have inherited my late Fathers mobile home.

This answer was rated:

I'm in CA, and have inherited my late Father's mobile home. It is in a park, so he didn't own the land it sat on. I'd like to live in it, but the park rules say the owner must be 55 or older (I'm 51). How would I go about transferring it to my mother?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Are you planing to live in it once you transfer the mobile home to your mother?

Is the title to the mobile home in your name?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes; park rules allow that.

Title is still in my Father's name, but I do have the death certificate.

Dear Damon,

Thank you for your follow up.

Was the will filed with the local probate case and an estate established for your father in the local probate court?

Did your father have any other assets upon his death?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, it has not been so. Do I need to do that? I am the sole heir.

He had a car, which I will be switching the registration on at DMV this week. He also had bank accounts which he had already put my name on. I also have a (signed and notarized) durable power of attorney from him. Does that come into play here, or is that null and void die to his death?

Dear Damon,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately the POA becomes invalid upon your father's death, so you would need to open a case in the local probate case and to open an estate for your father in order to have the court transfer possession of the mobile home to you administration of your father's probate case. Same goes for your father's car.

Here is the link to the official California Court that explains probate process:

This is a complex area of law, so I would strongly suggest that you do consult with a local probate attorney to help you with your probate process.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you