How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34256
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters friend had almost died from an overdose at a

This answer was rated:

My daughter's friend had almost died from an overdose at a party (not our home). He ended up passed out on our front lawn. Ambulance came and took him to the hospital. My daughter and the boys friend went to the hospital with him. They did not know his address or if he even if he had insurance. My daughter filled out the paperwork with his name but OUR address!! Now we keep getting a bill for HIM at our address. I send back stating on the envelope that "there is no person with that name at this address". Is there anything that we should or should not do?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Is this person an adult? Or a minor child? And if minor child, do you know the parents contact information?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is 22 years old. We only know the city that they live in. They are not listed and my daughter is not allowed to speak to him for obvious reasons.


Is your daughter also an adult?

And, did she agree to pay this debt? Or did she just put her address on the intake forms?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is 22 and lives at home. She just filled out the intake forms in the beginning.

His name is XXXXX XXXXX bill but it is our address.


I ask because if she had agreed to be financially responsible for the bill, the hospital could attempt to collect from her.

But if this is just a case of her listing your address, since she did not know a better address? That would not make her liable for the bill. As an adult, the friend will be liable for this bill.

That said, you (or your daughter) may want to contact the hospital to let them know that this person does not live at your address.

A sort letter explaining this would be sufficient.

Keep a copy.

And you can tell the post office the same thing.

I understand you sent one of the bills back...but I suspect that was ignored. I would put this on paper and send to the hospital directly. I suspect that will end the bills. If it does not you can simply destroy them.

What you describe she has no financial liability.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your time and expertise. You have eased my mind tremendously.

You bet
Best of luck with this mess


P. Simmons and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you