How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3139
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents were married for about approximately 13 years (part

This answer was rated:

My parents were married for about approximately 13 years (part of those years were in the Philippines) and divorced for approximately twenty something years. My Dad passed away in November of Nov. 12 so I'm wondering if my Mom is still entitled to his Social Security and if she is entitled, what do I need to do to apply her for his S.S.?

Yes, your mom is entitled to survivor Social Security benefits. A surviving divorce spouse is entitled to survivor benefits so long as the marriage lasted at least 10 years. Since your parents marriage lasted 13 years, your mom would qualify. It does not matter that part of that time was in the Philippines. Let me direct you to some resources:

Survivors Planner: If You're The Worker's Surviving Divorced Spouse


To apply for the survivor benefits, you can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. Or you can visit your local Social Security Office. If you visit your local Social Security Office, it is best to make an appointment first. Please take a look at: How to Apply for Survivor Benefits.


And you will need to supply certain information to Social Security such as your father's death certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree etc. For all the information you may need to supply see: Information You May to Provide.


I hope this helps, and good luck.







Thomas Swartz and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you