How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

copyright inferingement i was useing u torrent open web site

This answer was rated:

copyright inferingement i was useing u torrent open web site they said i downloaded a movie well now they want me to pay evrytime i call no returns my call this things has me very worried im a clean person no record did not know i was doing anything wrong i need help maybe some one can call me i dont have a lot of money i live paycheck to paycheck but can try and pay for services ramon is my name(NNN) NNN-NNNNplease
Thank you for your question I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The downloading and sharing of copyrighted movies is a federal copyright infringement violation if you did not pay for the movie or song. This means you can be sued for the violation for up to $100,000 per violation. You should NOT call these people back and you should NOT admit to doing anything, they have to prove you actually did this. I am afraid that if they do send you proof or you know that they have the proof, they are going to demand somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000 for your violation, but in most all cases will settle somewhere about $500.

I am afraid we are forbidden from calling you and we cannot legally represent you in this matter. All we can provide is the legal information as we did above as to how to handle your offense.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for your response.

You need to start offering them $100 and do not go higher than $800, but usually they will accept about $300-$500, hold firm with them.