Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

We are not a breeder but had a litter of german sheppards and

sold without papers. One...
We are not a breeder but had a litter of german sheppards and sold without papers. One purchaser is now stating that the puppy had parvo less than a week after purchase where she had the puppy put to sleep. Per the Florida Lemon Law, she should have brought the puppy back but did not. Are we responsible for anything at this point?
7/6/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under the FL Puppy Lemon Law, FS 828.29, it applies to sales by "pet dealers." A pet dealer is defined as any one who sells more than 2 litters or 20 dogs per year, whichever is greater.

If you do not qualify as a pet dealer, then you were still required to ensure:

* The dog or cat must be at least 8 weeks of age, and
* You must provide the completed Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection.
-- The Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection must be signed by the USDA accredited veterinarXXXXX XXXXXcensed in Florida, who performed the examination.
-- The examination must have occurred no more than 30 days before the purchase.
-- The dog or cat must have been vaccinated, dewormed, and had certain tests prior to your purchase.

These must have been administered by or under the direct supervision of a licensed veterinarian no more than 21 days before the purchase, if your dog or cat is under 4 months and no more than one year if the pet is over 4 months.

If you did not comply with those minimum requirements, since the remainder of the statute applies only to pet dealers, then you owe the buyer a refund for their purchase or they could pursue you.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

If those services were met, then we do not owe? We provided everything you listed but she is still stating we owe her the vet bill. Do we?

If those services were met, if you are not a "pet dealer" as defined, then you do not owe her anything and you need to inform her that the demands she is making are claims she would have if you were a "pet dealer," but as you are not a pet dealer you are not liable under FL law.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney