Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Four students in school falsely accused me of abusing them.

One said I closed her...
Four students in school falsely accused me of abusing them. One said I closed her in the door, two said that I pushed them into objects and one said I scratched her. TWO OF THE STUDENTS HAD MARKS ON THEM. How can I prove that the students are lying and that they are upset that as a substitute teacher, I was trying to maintain order in the classroom?
7/6/2013
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Hello there:

Thank you for your question. I should start by saying that because the nuances of every case are different, this information should not be construed as complete or advice without consulting in person with counsel. That said, the first thing that you have to acknowledge is that there is rarely a smoking gun in these types of cases, so you have to look at the totality of the circumstances. There are plenty of potential ways to prove things in these situations, just like there are lots of ways to prove things in life. How would you prove that you went to the grocery store today? You might show a receipt of purchase. You may have a credit card record. Perhaps you ran into someone at the store that recognized you and would remember your being there. Maybe you were issued a traffic citation outside the store's parking lot. You would also have groceries from the store in your home. You know it is true, so you just have to look at your circumstances and figure out how to show someone else it is true too. You don't have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt--this isn't a criminal matter. Maybe the students have admitted to their friends what really happened. Perhaps the students' parents would be willing to investigate on your behalf. Perhaps a private investigator would be able to persuade the students to disclose information that they wouldn't disclose to anyone else. It's always possible that the evidence isn't there, but you can't know that until you have turned over every proverbial stone. What have you tried so far? If you aren't sure where to start, and if you can't afford an attorney or private investigator (PIs usually cost around $50-$75 per hour), the best place to start is usually just asking everyone possibly connected what information they have or would be willing to collect on your behalf.

Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.

Two of the students who accused me were upset because I told them to go to their seats. I asked the principal to collect information from the other students. Some students said that I abused the girls but they did not described it the way my accusers did.. Some of the students said they did not see anything. The students went to another class and then to the office. They had enough time to talk to their friends. The principal came to me fifteen minutes after the students said the incident happened. The principal believes the fourth graders and is only concern for his school.can private investigators be allowed to question the kids? My friend suggest that I take them to court where they would not have their friends to lie for them. I have been a substitute for twelve years with no records.

A school would be able to prohibit a private investigator (or most anyone else, for that matter) from coming onto the campus, but nothing would prohibit a private investigator from making contact with the children, or anyone else that may have relevant information, for the purpose of asking questions outside of the school grounds.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law