How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19313
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1 am owed $6,700 which is more than small claims court allows

This answer was rated:

1 am owed $6,700 which is more than small claims court allows can i get a lawyer to represent me

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.


You can, but you to ask yourself if it is really going to be worth the costs of hiring an attorney to go after an additional $1700.


I can tell you now that at most attorney rates in Florida, they'll cost much more than $1700 to go to regular state court for you, so the ultimate result is that you'll end up losing money. When I say "a lot more" I mean that they'll cost closer to $3000 or $4000 for a trial, if not more.


So, even if you recovered your full amount of $6700 in a state court trial, you'd owe your attorney $3000 or $4000....and you'll have to pay that even if you don't win. Getting your attorney's fees paid for by the other party is also extremely unrealistic in our system of law, so you can't count on that at all.


Honestly, for that amount of money, you'd be better off going to small claims for just the maximum you can get there because you'd get to keep everything you got.

Allen M., Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you