How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

eCar Repossession in Alabama. Jan. 2013 my 23 year old nephew

This answer was rated:

eCar Repossession in Alabama. Jan. 2013 my 23 year old nephew needed a reliable vehicle. I found one @ a local dealership, paid 2000.00 down & financed the balance. My nephew has been driving this vehicle. Every month he gives me cash to make it's payment. He pays the required full coverage auto insurance as well.
Lately, he has been caught in several lies. He quit his job. Hasn't paid other bills he is responsible for that are in my name. The only way he has been able to afford the payments & insurance is, he lives in a house I own.
The car is financed solely in my name. He is on an auto insurance policy with both my husband & I so his rates would be lower. Literally, he drove the car off the lot when it was purchased & has had possession of it since. The auto loan payment is current. The last week he has been upset with me. He took the car to Orange Beach, then Cincinnati & is still there. I am very concerned he will leave the state with the car & stop making payments. I cannot afford the payments. I want to take the car away from him when he gets back. I do not plan to tell him I am taking it. I have a set of keys. Do you foresee any legal problems I will have? Thank you for your assistance, Theresa Hanes
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Have you considered letting a professional and licensed reposession professionals do the job for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. I just want to take the vehicle from him, sell it & be done. Do you foresee any legal ramifications to this approach?

Dear Theresa,

Even though this vehicle is registered, titled and financed in your name, it would be a much better idea to have a licensed reposssession company to repossess this vehicle for you, since if your nephew interfers with your attempt to take back this vehicle, this matter can get out of control or become violent and expose all participant to some type of civil and/or criminal liability resulting from such incident / conflict, so it is much better idea to let professional repossessor take the car for you and it should not cost more than few hundred dollars, especially if you do have the keys.

As far as, any legal issues related to your decision to take the car back and to dispose of it, even though your nephew is making payments, since the vehicle is titled and financed in your name and there is no written agreement between you and your nephew, it is up to you whether allow for him to continue driving this car or to take it away and sell it.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your insight & suggestions. Much appreciation, Theresa

Dear Theresa,

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.