How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

are you there

This answer was rated:

are you there

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, the appellant has 30 days from the entry of "final judgment" to file an appeal. Here is a very helpful publication by the Arizona Courts which provides you with information on the appellate process, and more importantly gives definitions of what the final judgment is so that you can see what the start date is for your timeline:

William B. Esq. :

I hope that my answer was of assistance to you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you for your business!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What if I cannot afford to pay the judgement and continue doing business. Can you give me some of the options I have?

Dear Customer,

Once the judgment is final, that is a debt against you that can be enforced with judicial means (levies, garnishments, till taps, etc.). This makes working around it difficult and gives the judgment creditor the upper hand.

Your options (outside of an appeal) would include primarily working with the creditor to arrive at a payment plan or settlement that allows you to stay in business, but gives the creditor some payment. You can settle with them for whatever is deemed mutually acceptable, and courts generally encourage settlement, even post judgment.
If you cannot pay your debt, and the creditor refuses to work with you, you will need to consider insolvency options, primarily bankruptcy or looking at the form of your company (are you an LLC or a corporation). I would recommend speaking with a bankruptcy or insolvency attorney to plan a bankruptcy if this appears to be your option as far in advance as possible as you will be able to maximize the benefit of such a judicial process. In the meantime, a bankruptcy or insolvency attorney is usually the best person to assist you in dealing with proportionally large debts as they can assist in the negotiations I referenced earlier.
There may be other options available to you specifically, but these are the general routes available to resolve large debts for businesses that cannot service them.
CalAttorney2 and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Dear Customer,

Thank you for the kind rating, it is greatly appreciated. I wish you the best of luck with this matter. If you have further questions regarding this type of issue, or any other legal matter, please do not hesitate to use our service in the future. You may post a question for any of our experts in general, or to me directly by titling your question “To CalAttorney 2…”

Best wishes, and thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since the judgement is in place can i file an appeal without a supersedius bond?

Dear Customer, the filing of an appeal does not stay the judgment creditor's right to collect. You must file a bond.

Alternatively, you may file a motion with the appellate court asking for a stay on collections, but this is a request for extraordinary relief (this does not mean your petition will not be granted, it simply means that you are filing for relief that is not normally issued and would be granted only at the discretion of the Court).

Related Legal Questions