Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My daughter is an ACLU member living in Oregon. Can she be

My daughter is an ACLU...
My daughter is an ACLU member living in Oregon. Can she be (legally) fired from her job for developing a nuerological disorder, and, consequently, unable to perform all required duties?
7/5/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, is an employee is unable to perform the job for which the employee was initially covered, due to some type of medical or neurologica disorder, an employer does have the right to terminate such employee due to the employee's inability to perform the duties required by the job.

I am sorry once again about this unfortunate situation and I wish you and your daughter the best of luck!

Is this the case, even when management has previously agreed to work with you to get through the situation?

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

That is correct. The employer can try to accomodate an existing employee who has developed medical / neurological problem that is intefering with the job duties, but the employer has no obligation to do so, even if previously promised to do so.

I wish you the best of luck.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law