How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is XXXXX XXXXX

Customer Question

My name is XXXXX XXXXX In November of 2011 I went with my girlfriend dad to buy our car. He said because at the time I only had my permit I could not buy a car. So I took a college loan out while I was at CCC and went with him to buy the car. I paid for it in cash. But he signed for it. At Christmas I found out he was driving the car without us knowing. He put over 1,000 miles on it by Christmas day. So I told him to give us the car. So he gave it to her . He put it in her name. I just recently broke up with her cuz of her drug and alcohol abuse. I have full custody of the three kids cuz cps took them out of the house. So I need the car back and she will not give it to me. The title is in her name. Can I do anything?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Well yes, you can do something - it will not be easy because it will be a process.


But if you have the proof that you paid for the car, then you will need to take the Father to court to recoup your money.

Please tell me what is the total value that you paid for the car?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the only proof I have that I bought it is my $2880 loan from CCC that I took out in October of 2011, two months before getting the car. Her dad signed the papers for the car. I paid $2400 for it. He gave the car over to her as a gift. The title is in her name. She practically stole it from me and I'm still paying the loan off

Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Thank you.


Well, you will need to have solid proof that the money you took for the loan went to pay for the car.


And if you can get that, I suggest, you will want to file a small claims lawsuit. And you can do that in the county where the Father lives - or in the county where you bought the car.

You can go to that court and request the documents to file. It is relatively easy process to file in small claims. But you need to prove you paid for the car with that money.