How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I legally get freeloaders out of my house n md

This answer was rated:

How do I legally get freeloaders out of my house n md
Thank you for your post. PLease permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, who exactly are these people? How did they get to reside on your property? Is there a lease involved, either oral or written? Do they pay rent, did they ever pay rent in the past? Please advise so I can best assist you, thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they moved in 11/2012 when we all lived on a farm in baltimore,county,they have a young child also.they havent paid out any monies,claiming they do not make enough to survive our lease ran out on farm n we moved to smaller house in same county,my wife felt sorry for the kid,so they went with us, but still not a dime in rent,they do not buy food or drink of any kind,he even totaled our only vehical

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

oh yea no lease between us


What, if anything, have you attempted to remove them from the premises so far?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nothi.g just asked them to to pay rent or get out,they said they have no $ or place to go,they are draing us dry,and we have a disabled son


Thank you for your follow-up.

In this situation the requirement is that you must provide them with a written notice to quit the premises, which must grant them 30 days to leave. This is because while they are not technically tenants, they are still considered to be lawful occupants on your land. An occupant is treated as a 'month-to-month' tenant and is afforded the same rights under law. That grants them the right to first be served with notice under which they are given that period of time to quit the premises. This notice has to be either sent to them by certified mail (to prove notice), physically handed over to them, or affixed to their bedroom door. Then, if they are on premises beyond those 30 days, you would need to take a copy of this notice to your local county courthouse and file there for an eviction. The other party will be served with a copy of your complaint and a summons to court. Then, if you prevail in court you will obtain a writ of possession. This writ then has to be given to the sheriff who ultimately forcibly ejects them from the premises if they still remain on your land.

Hope that helps.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions