How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a duplex with my now ex step brother. I am trying to

This answer was rated:

I own a duplex with my now ex step brother. I am trying to save the house from foreclosure. I am a 50 year old disabled woman. He bought me a car a year and a half ago, he now wants it back. I am being so pressured by him that with all my medical conditions I do not feel safe. I don't think he will hurt me but he knows that stress can bring on another heart attack. I am also afraid if i don't give him the car he won't let me save the house. I really feel I need an advocate. Can you point me in the right direction to get the help I need.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Is this car in his name or yours, or is it in both names?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The car is in my name only.

Thank you for your follow-up, Donna.

In that case he absolutely has no basis, grounds, or right to remove--if he does, it is THEFT of your personal property. Consider sending him a letter in writing, via certified mail, that you will no longer tolerate his potential interference with your own personal property, and if he interferes again by blocking you in, you will tow the other vehicle at his expense, and if he takes your vehicle without your consent, as he is not the owner you will consider pursuing legal action to the full extent available to you, including pressing criminal charges for theft if warranted.

That, by itself, should sufficiently leave him alone from you since he cannot remove the car. Even if he bought it for you, the second he put it in your name, it became your car and his gift--he cannot take a gift back without you agreeing to allow him to do so.

Then, if he appears again--consider calling the police and filing a police report.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you