How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My American Son got Engaged to a British girl JanXXXXX

This answer was rated:

My American Son got Engaged to a British girl JanXXXXX Ives with a family heirloom which was my aunt's 1940's diamond wedding ring which I paid to have set in a new setting. She and her family are well aware it belonged to my aunt. Unfortunately the engagement was called off Aug 2012. She flatly refuses to give the ring back as she said it was a gift, she admits she knows it is a family heirloom, and said I can directly blame my son for the reason I don't have it back as it is all his fault. I wanted to know what the law is there, Can I sue her from here in American court & have her served, he lived & lives here, ring bought here, she lives in UK & was given to her in UK. Can I sue her in a UK court of law. Please help me it is a very important piece to me. I did tell my son sorta as a joke because I would have never thought it wouldn't work out that if they break up before the wedding I get my aunt's ring back. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Was the ring given to the ex-fiancee by your son himself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes I took it to the UK & we met her family, took a vacation there 1st time the families met. They had been visiting when they could across the pond. He spent a total of 10 mo over there in the 2 1/2 yrs she was here like 10 weeks total. He asked her to marry him in St. Ives so yes he gave it to her.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so I sent the answer to your question I will still get my question answered for the $36.00 right????? Then get to decide if I want to sign up for your online service which I actually really like, right???????


Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, it would have to be your son who would have to sue his ex-fiancee for the return of the family heirloom ring and such lawsuit would have to be filed in the court in the UK where the ex-fiancee lives, as only such UK court would have the personal and subject matter jurisdiction over the ex-fiancee and the legal issue at hand.

Since the engagement ring is considered to be a gift given in anticipation of marriage, generally marriage is a required condition, before the gift becomes permanent, so in this case your son would have an excellent chance to prevail in his lawsuit.

As far as any billing questions, you do not have to subcribe to service, unless you choose to and you would only be charged a once time $36 fee for my answer, once you accept my answer and positively rate it.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok but just one more question, can he file from here or would he have to go there & file in person. I just wonder if it can be done online???????? Also thank you for the quick reply. I am also sorry about this but in the end I guess all things happen for a reason.

Thank you for your follow up.

Your son might be able to file a lawsuit from the US, but he would need to either appear in court or to hire a local attorney in UK to help him proceed with this lawsuit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok I will check this out. I hope he can file it online & get a lawyer there to represent him. Thank you. Have a Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!

I wish you happy 4th of July too!

I wish you the best of luck.


Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Alex J. Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you