How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I keep a previous married last name as a middle name after

This answer was rated:

If I keep a previous married last name as a middle name after the second marriage, can I sign legal documents with just that name? Example: previous married name of Jane Ann Doe changed to Jane Ann Doe Smith. Can she still sign legal documents as Jane Ann Doe?

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, a person can keep only 1 "full legal name". This name includes the person's First Name, Middle Name(s), and Last Name. If you have multiple middle names, you must include each. The only way to change your legal name is XXXXX XXXXX or through a court petition. In both instances, you must provide the entire legal name you are changing from, and the one you are changing to. You cannot retain 2 "full legal names."

William B. Esq. :

In your example, Jane Ann Doe may only go by her new "full legal name", Jane Ann Doe Smith when signing legal documents.

William B. Esq. :

I hope that my answer was of assistance to you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you for your business!

CalAttorney2 and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you