How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19319
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is a cancer victim. In the hospital, he refused

This answer was rated:

My husband is a cancer victim. In the hospital, he refused all assistance concerning his cancer and just wanted to come home. He is home now but I believe his side of the family does not agree with his decision. How should I handle this?

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.


You have no particular legal right to hear any conversations that he may want to have with family, so that's not really enforceable. If he wants you to be present, fine.


Now, what you need to do is have him speak with a local attorney to have a durable healthcare power of attorney created, as well as an advanced medical directive. I am not going to address any "trust and estate" issues. These are general legal documents concerning how you can be appointed as his healthcare agent so that, in the end, his wishes will be carried out even if he were to lose lucidity later in time and can't express his wishes clearly then.

Allen M., Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you