Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
20011183

My husband is a cancer victim. In the hospital, he refused

My husband is a cancer victim. In the hospital, he refused all assistance concerning his cancer and just wanted to come home. He is home now but I believe his side of the family does not agree with his decision. How should I handle this?

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

You have no particular legal right to hear any conversations that he may want to have with family, so that's not really enforceable. If he wants you to be present, fine.

Now, what you need to do is have him speak with a local attorney to have a durable healthcare power of attorney created, as well as an advanced medical directive. I am not going to address any "trust and estate" issues. These are general legal documents concerning how you can be appointed as his healthcare agent so that, in the end, his wishes will be carried out even if he were to lose lucidity later in time and can't express his wishes clearly then.