How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118237
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my ex bf were sent to collections for an amount owed

This answer was rated:

Me and my ex bf were sent to collections for an amount owed at the apartment we used to live. I left the apt. and he stayed. I left because I was being abused, I couldn't take his abuses anymore. He never paid any rent, and now ignores the calls from collections. So I've been making monthly payments to the collections people but there is more than $3,000 remaining to pay it off. I was wondering if this is going to affect my credit. Also, will I be able to rent another place before I pay this off? If not, when should I be able to rent another property?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If your name was on the lease, your landlord could seek to hold you liable for the payment on the lease and it will be reported on your credit I am afraid. Also, if there was domestic violence, you could have gotten out of the lease legally and not had any liability by providing proof to the landlord of the domestic violence by a police report (the report is mandatory to avail yourself of the right to get off of a lease based on domestic abuse). If you did not do this, I am afraid the landlord can hold you liable and it would be on your credit and it would also stop you from getting a new apartment to rent. This can prevent you from renting and be on your credit report for up to 7 years.

One option legally is to sue the ex for the money due and seek to collect that judgment in small claims court against him. Also, you can first pay off the delinquent payment and then sue your ex for him to reimburse you for the money he should have paid that you paid.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What if I pay this balance off? Will I be able to rent another place?

Thank you for your response.

If you pay the balance off, it would show as paid and you should be able to rent again, although some landlords may question the late payment and you will have to explain what occurred to them to satisfy them you are not a rental risk.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I sue my ex when this is all paid off and he refuses to pay me back, assuming he is either employed or unemployed, what could happen to him? Would he go to jail for nor paying or not showing up in court? I already know he won't pay me back, he is very irresponsible when it comes to paying rent on time, unless he knows he might go to jail. Also the only reason he works is because he has to pay child support for his daughter because he knows if he doesn't pay he will go to jail. So I don't want to try to sue him in vain.

Thank you for your reply.

If you sue him and get a judgment against him, then you can seek to garnish his wages (presuming you are not in a state like Texas or NC where they forbid garnishment of wages, but you have not mentioned your state) or you can levy his bank accounts or even seize property he owns like a car to satisfy the debt.

He would not go to jail for not paying a civil debt or not showing up in court I am afraid, but you can seize his property and take it from him to sell it to pay the debt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What does levy a bank account mean?

It means the sheriff would serve notice on his bank and they would take whatever money due on the judgment out of his bank accounts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What if he doesn't have any money on his bank account and no properties at all? What happens?

I am sorry to say if he has no money and owns no car or other property you can get the court to seize, then you would not be able to get a judgment satisfied other than through garnishment of wages if your state does not prohibit garnishment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, thanks for your help.

Thank you very much. Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback as that is the only way the expert gets credit for assisting you on this holiday.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you