How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116808
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Defamation of character.... My girlfriends ex is threatening

This answer was rated:

Defamation of character.... My girlfriends ex is threatening to take their kids from her based on things that have no proof or documented facts about me. He is saying that I was fired as a Police officer for stealing drugs while on duty... I have since quit the department of my own family issues. He also has stated that I lost a home due to it being condemned by the city, when it was actually a foreclosure due to none payment with my ex wife.... and he has also said that we were infested with bed bugs.... when it was just fleas... All of these things are the basis for his taking the kids from her and based completely on rumors and innuendos. I want to know what I can due about this and save my family I have with her
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If this person is making known false statements about you to third parties, you would have a right to sue him for the damage he is causing to your character in the community and seek money damages. Accusing you of stealing or using drugs is considered defamation per se and you can sue without proving monetary damages for those types of severely damaging statemtns about your reputation.

At this point you need to sue him and get an injunction to stop him from making further false allegations and also seek damages from him for the comments.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was also wondering that because he is a city employee of the same city I once worked for, and the allegations also came from a bunch of them... though I do not know their names at this time, but can the city be also held liable for these damaging statements that were made on city time

Thank you for your response.

It is tough to hold the city liable unless you can prove they made the known false comments about you in their capacity of their city employment.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do know these things have been said by him and other employees while they were on the clock for the city


Thank you for your reply.

The city would argue that they were not making these comments in the course of their employment, which would be a defense for them to avoid liability. You would have to prove that they made these comments in their capacity of employees of the city to hold the city liable.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you