How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son took one class at a private college in California, and

This answer was rated:

My son took one class at a private college in California, and passed it with a "B."

He has since applied for admission as an upper-division transfer student, at Cal State University (Hayward). Admissions at Cal State requires all former transcripts.

The problem is, the private college refuses to forward the transcript because they claim he owes for two other classes, which is disputed.

He fully paid tuition for the one course he did take.

It's really a kind of extortion. How do I make the private college provide the transcript?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, there is no law currently in California that would prevent a private college from withholding a transcript for any completed classes, if any part of the tutition is claimed to be unpaid and the studen has an open balance with this private college.

The only way to resolve this matter is either to come to a settlement on the amount of the tuition owed to this college or to file a lawsuit to have the court decide on this dispute.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Alex J. Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But what would my cause of action be for a lawsuit?

Thank you for your follow up.

A lawsuit would be based on the disputed outstanding tuition bill and would be based on any legal reasons that your son might have which are underlying the dispute related to the tuition for the two classes ( providing that there is a valid legal dispute that exist).

I wish you the best of luck!