How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I asked you about a contract dispute that I lost and my attorney

This answer was rated:

I asked you about a contract dispute that I lost and my attorney failed to file an appeal. Can I petition the court to re-open the case? And if so are there grounds or precedents for such an action?

Thank you for your question and thank you kindly to assist you with your concerns.

Once a judgment is entered, the decision is final. You cannot 're-open', you can simply appeal if you have grounds. But once a decision is entered and beyond the statutory period, there is no basis to re-open as the courts would see it as a situation where you had the right to appeal and you did not, and that was your right to have a higher court review the decision.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you