How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there any recourse if you rent an apartment to a university

This answer was rated:

Is there any recourse if you rent an apartment to a university student on a foreign visit and they leave still owing money?

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Great question. You need to file a lawsuit agaist the tenant/student and get a judgement. Once you get the judgment, it is good for ten years. And when you learn that the student has returned, you can try to execute the judgment to enforce payment. However, because it is not criminal (not paying rent) you cannot file anyting with the State department that would interfer with his ability to return. Sorry.

dylatess and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much.....that's pretty much what I thought.....thanks for your quick response!