How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16630
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you get and extension on completing a driver intervention

This answer was rated:

Can you get and extension on completing a driver intervention program in the state of Ohio after pleading guilty to a an OVI
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

An extension can be obtained upon a proper Motion for Extension to Complete Driver Intervention Program with the court that has ordered, but it is up to the judge whether to grant such an extension and also such Motion should be filed before the deadline expires, as the defendant would be in violation of his/her sentence if the program is not completed before the deadline and an extension has not been granted by the court to complete the program.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How would I go about motioning for an extension? And how long of an extension can I ask for? I have a week and a half until the deadline and would need it to be extended a month at the most
Thank you for your follow up.

Your local attorney would have to draft and file a Motion with the court and the motion would be set for a hearing and the motion would have to state legal reasons for the extension or some other resonable explanation as to why the extension is neccessary and should be considered by the court and the judge will hold a hearing on the motion and will make a decision. Generally extension for a 30 days is reasonable, if it is backed up by valid legal reasons or compeling circumstances, but could not be based on "convinience reasons" for the defendant.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My reasoning is mostly financial, have to pay $600 in court costs and an addition $400 to take the program. Would it help if I could show proof that I have the program scheduled?
Thank you for your follow up.

If you can clearly show to the court the financial harship due to lack of employment or income which made you unable to comply with completion of this program within the time ordered by the court, the court might take such reasoning into consideration and also showing that you are enrolled in this program in the near future would generally be viewed favorably by the court.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you