How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31737
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend has been taken away against her will and committed

This answer was rated:

A friend has been taken away against her will and committed to a psych ward at a local hospital. Is there anything that can be done to help her get released and actions she can take against her mother who was the instigator?

Please help. She is desperate to know what she can do.

Thank you,

Carol Yorke
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, was your friend involuntarily committed; meaning that a court order was issued directing that she be sent to and held by this hospital?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All she knows is that the police came and took her away...she doesn't know about any court order or anying

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It definitely was involuntarily.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need to leave for a half hour or so. How can we continue later?


Ok. Thanks for the information.

IF she was take away by police and admitted to the psych ward, then it was definitely involuntary AND is likely based on a court order - - otherwise, the police would not have been involved.

In this case, the first thing your friend needs to do is find out what the court order says about her commitment. That will tell her what the purpose for this is and what exactly is going on. She probably needs to consult an attorney to try and decipher this and then see what needs to be done in order to get out.

In general terms, your friend is going to have to get an independent psych evaluation to show that there's no basis for her to be held.

Also, we can continue when you get back. Just let me know and we'll pick up. Thanks.
Roger and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Hi - please let me know if you have any additional questions. If so, I'll be glad to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

An attorney friend recommended she ask for a public defender -- she has no funds...none. I tried calling the local public defender office and was told they don't handle these cases although their website clearly states that they do. Another friend gave me the name of a specific person to call and I'll call him later on today.


Thanks for your help. Let me know if you have any additional ideas/tips.




Carol Yorke, San Jose, CA



Getting her an attorney is definitely the best thing to do right now because she needs someone to review any commitment orders that have been entered and then take action to get her out.

The best resource to find a legal aid or pro bono (free) attorney to help her is to contact the state bar association ( and ask for help in locating an attorney.

If you have any other questions or need something further, please let me know.