Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My 22 year old saint of a son did something really stupid.

My 22 year old saint of a son did something really stupid. His first home purchase was a mobile home in a trailer park. Because this was not real property he had to register it with the local tag office and pay Ad Valorem tax. He bought the trailer for $30k in Destin, Florida but he forged the bill of sale with the seller's signature and turned it into the county for $15K. The trailer is owner financed thru the original owner and isn't worth $4K but now my son faces fraud and forgery charges. He has no other history of crime and we are both scared. What repercussion could he face?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Although this would be entirely dependent on the facts of the case and how aggressive the DA is, in my experience, if a person has a clean record otherwise, the DA would grant him the option of felony pret-trial intervention. This is a program where he is placed on probation for some period of time usually a year, and has to do some community service. As long as he doesn't get into any trouble and successfully completes the probation, the judge will then dismiss the charges against him.
.
Since this is charged as a felony, it is critical for him to be represented by a criminal defense attorney so that the attorney can negotiate with the prosecutor on his behalf. It is very likely that the attorney will be able to get him enrolled in the pre trial intervention program as long as he has a clear record otherwise.
.
If for some reason he isn't eligible for the diversion program, then although this is technically a jailable offense, realistically it isn't. No judge is going to order him to jail for a year and make the state incur the cost of housing him for an offense like this. It is far more likely that he would be put on probation for a period of time, probably 5 years, with no jailtime if he was actually convicted of a felony. But even that is pretty unlikely because a good defense attorney will be able to talk the prosecutor into offering him some type of lesser misdemeanor charge to plead to rather than a felony.
.
Although this is serious and shouldn't be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly, it won't be the end of his life and there is virtually no chance he will have to serve any time over this.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.