How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33763
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a dependent in a lawsuit/ judgement and need a continuance

This answer was rated:

I am a dependent in a lawsuit/ judgement and need a continuance until I meet with an attorney

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Is there a specific question I could assist you with?

Customer: I am a defendant in a lawsuit/ judgment and can't meet with an attorney until 7/10. Court is 7/5 and I can't go until this meeting. What do I do.
JD 1992 :

You will have to file a Motion for Continuance. Let me see if I can find a form for that online.

Customer: Great thanks. Do I need to appear in court. Or an I just drop it off at the courthouse?
JD 1992 :

You will need to file it ASAP and then appear at the regularly scheduled time to argue it. Usually if you are looking for an attorney and have an appointment set the court will grant the continuance.

Customer: What would happen if I don't show up to argue it?
JD 1992 :

Likely the judge will deny it and you lose the hraing/case.

JD 1992 :


Customer: If the judgement is granted then what, I have no Income, not working right now
JD 1992 :

They can try to seize assets, wait until you go back to work and then garnish wages, etc.

Customer: Will that happen by 7/10?
JD 1992 :

No, not likely. You would have a period of time before it becomes a final judgment.

JD 1992 :

Usually 10-30 days depending on the court.

Customer: The documents were hand delivered to my 16 year old son. Can I use that in any way
JD 1992 :

You can object to the service on a minor but you still have to file a motion and appear to do that and then they just re-serve you.

Customer: Thanks for your help
JD 1992 :

You're very welcome.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I get credit for my work.

Dwayne B. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.