Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My husband changed the password XXXXX log into a joint credit

Customer Question

My husband changed the password XXXXX log into a joint credit card account and has refused to tell me the new acct info...I have this in text message what can I do?
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
If you are listed as a joint account holder on the account with the credit card company, then you can contact them and tell them that you have forgotten your new password and ask them to reset it for you. Then you can change it to anything you want to. As long as you are listed as a joint account holder, you can do this. If you are just listed as an authorized user, then you aren't an owner of the account and they wouldn't let you change the password.
.
If your husband changes it again, then you can do the same thing all over again. But when they reset it for you the first time, I would suggest printing out some of the monthly statements because there is apparently something there that he doesn't want you to see.
.
As for other records like taxes, if you are signing as married filing jointly, you can contact the IRS and request copies of the last several years tax returns. If there are other financial accounts that you are listed as a joint owner on, you can contact them directly to get copies of statements.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have a special needs son I have nothing because I care for him husband knows I want and may seek divorce so this is just the beginning.
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry to hear that you are being placed in a situation like this by your husband. At this point, you should take as many steps as you can to get financial records and documentation together and keep it safe. If he decides to leave and file for divorce, you will need to have evidence of assets, bank accounts and income so as to be able to file emergency petitions for alimony and child support.
.
.
.