How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 21 years old and trying to get student loans/financial

Customer Question

I am 21 years old and trying to get student loans/financial aid for college. I was told I must submit tax info of my divorced parents until I am 25 years old. Problem is my parents will not give me the necessary tax/financial info. What can I do? (I am not receiving money from my parents)
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Hi, My name is Andrea and my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,



Q. Who told you that you must submit your parents' financial information ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

financial aid person at college told me that. I am trying to get low interest student aid and was told by the person at the financial aid office that I must submit my parents income as reported to IRS. I told her I am "independent" and not on speaking terms with parents etc. She said I MUST provide this information and I cannot be "independent" until age 25??

Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry to hear that you have come across someone who does not know what they are talking about. There are very many students who are emancipated at the age of 18.


Do not waste your time trying to convince this person that you are emancipated. Find out who her superior is and speak to their superior, without letting this individual know.. Ask what they would like to see as proof that you are emancipated. If you no longer live at home, show proof of your address by a utility bill, rent receipt, any type of mail addressed to you, etc.. Their superior will be able to straighten this out for you,





Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,


Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,





Related Legal Questions