How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person who is on the board of a non profit organization

Customer Question

If a person who is on the board of a non profit organization writes in to a paid employees boss a untrue statement is that considered libel or slander. If I can prove it is not true then can I sue that person.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

What was the content of the false statement? Was the employee's reputation injured or some other damage sustained by the employee?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is a meeting scheduled to determine if the employee has a job and if she is not fired she probably be suspended without pay.

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

I see. Statements by a board member to an employee of the company would not typically be privileged, so the false statements could be prosecuted as defamatory by the subject of the false statements.

Statements of opinion generally do not constitute defamation, but false factual statements which lead to injury to the subject of the statements would typically constitute defamation, so the board member could be sued for damages.

One would typically retain a local employment law or civil litigation attorney to pursue legal action against the board member. The state and local bar associations can provide attorney referrals if you need one.

Here is a link which sets out the elements of defamation under IL law:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?
If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:
Thank you very much and all the best to you.