How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116713
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father is a Singaporean, recently his relative in China

This answer was rated:

My father is a Singaporean, recently his relative in China called to tell my father that his grandfather has included his name in a land or house of China, they need an authorization letter from him to give them the authority to take charge of the land so that they can proceed with the repair. Without the letter, they cannot proceed.

May I know, once the authorization is given to them, does that mean that my father has given up his right to the land or house? Since my father's name is XXXXX XXXXX house, can he ask to sell his share to them base on market price?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Absolutely not. If the authorization does not state he gives up ownership in the land (he needs to read the authorization carefully) then he retains ownership even though he might be granting them the legal right to repair the property, manage the property and even sell the property, but in the event of sale he would still be entitled to his share.

What he has to be careful of is he is not giving them a right to sell the land without written notice to him PRIOR to sale. This way he can protect his interest in the land and when it sells he can get his share of the compensation.

However, a general authorization to manage and control land would not give up his ownership rights. He just needs to read the agreement carefully to make sure they are not trying to slip something by him, because sometimes cagey relatives will try to pull a fast one on inherited land and they can even sometimes insert fees in there to make him pay for them managing the land, so this agreement needs to be read carefully and written specifically to protect your father.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just to confirm, my father can give them the authorization to manage and control the house, but just to make sure he did not give up the ownership of the house.


The house is in China and my father is in Singapore, in the event if they need to sell the house, does my father need to sign the agreement? We are so far away, really feel that we have no control over the property.

Thank you for your response.

Yes your father can give his consent for them to manage the property for him without giving up his ownership rights in the property. He needs to make sure the agreement he signs specifically states his signature is required for any sale and he is not giving up power of attorney for them to sell the property and this insures that in event of a sale they would need to get his signature.