How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117367
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In FL Small Claims Court, if the investigating officers of

This answer was rated:

In FL Small Claims Court, if the investigating officers of a non-injury traffic collision is called to testify in support of his accident report, and if he has high credentials as a Homicide Accident investigator, can his "opinion" of the truthfulness of conflicting stories of the collision drivers where there was no other witnesses be admitted into evidence, or is he constrained solely to the facts he found at the scene?
Thank you for your question and asking for me. I look forward to working with you again.

The investigator can testify to his investigation only. If the investigator has had special training, such as traffic schools, then you can seek to "qualify him as an expert," which is done by notifying the court you seek to qualify him as an expert and then get him on the stand and question him about his training and experience relative to accident scene investigations and establish he has sufficient training and experience and ask the court to allow him to testify as an expert. Once you qualify him as an expert, you can then ask his opinion about fault or cause of the accident.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the qualifying something that can be done at trial, or is this done by a separate motion and hearing, and to be specific, which "fault or cause" may be limited by, can he specifically testify (once he's accepted as expert) to his "opinion" of who was telling the truth?

Thank you for your response. Qualifying is usually done before the trial by you filing a motion to qualify expert witness, but it can also be done during trial when you put the officer up on the stand to testify and you ask him questions about his training and then ask the court to treat him as an expert witness.

Once he is accepted as a witness he can express his opinion as to the cause of the accident or fault in the accident.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you