How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31688
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in new jersey i did not pay rent a center for 4 tvs

This answer was rated:

i live in new jersey i did not pay rent a center for 4 tvs because my relatives did not pay me im responsible im 69 yrs old my income is limited rent a center is harrassing me terribly what tvcan i do i cant pay and cant give back the items please help what can rent a center do to me i can pay about 100 per month

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I'm sorry for the predicament you've found yourself in.

As you know, if you signed the agreement with the company, then you're responsible for the debt - - even if your relatives won't live up to their end of the bargain.

As for what the company can do, it has the right to repossess the televisions from you; if you don't have them then it can go after your relatives to recover the units. The company can also sue you for the amount due under the agreement(s) and obtain a judgment against you.

If a judgment is obtained, the company can then issue wage garnishments or can issue a bank levy to freeze your bank account(s) and take those funds and apply them to the balance of the debt.

If you are willing to make an offer to settle that is reasonable, the company is likely to accept it- - especially if you're retired and don't have income that can be attached to pay judgments like the one they would obtain. So, it is very likely that you're going to have some leverage to get them to settle.

The best thing is usually to make contact and ask to set up a payment plan to retire the debt. If they want the tv's back, you're going to have to do your best to get them and turn them over, or the company is probably going to come after you harder.
Roger and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i cant get the tvs back r there any criminal litagation involed because i was an idiot

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i cant get the tvs back r there any criminal litigation involved also they r harrasing me and my relatives coming to my home how can i stop this

Sorry for the delay. I signed off last night right after answering your question.

Generally, criminal charges should not be a concern - - you're dealing with a civil matter. It is possible that criminal charges could be filed for fraud, but that's not very likely - - all they want is their money.