Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have 2012 fifth wheel RV that I owe about 20k more than I

cam sell it for to...
I have 2012 fifth wheel RV that I owe about 20k more than I cam sell it for to a dealer and I am not getting any looks from personal buyers. I don't even have a truck to pull this with anymore. I have 740 plus credit today but what would happen if I called the lender and told them to come and get our RV? I live in Texas and I am worried they will come after me later in a suit to garnish my wages or something of that sort, what are the chances of that happening?
6/29/2013
Richard, Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. In Texas, the lender would have the right to pursue you for the shortfall. BUT, whether or not they will depends upon their assessment of the collectibility of a deficiency judgment. So, if you can convince them there is nothing for them to get, and that if they were to pursue a judgment, you would simply file for bankruptcy protection and get the judgment discharged—and even if you have no intention of doing so, it is still good leverage with the bank because they do not know whether or not you would… then it is unlikely the lender will spend the time and money necessary to get a judgment they believe is uncollectible in the end. ALSO, remember this...in Texas: i) wage garnishment is not allowed for this kind of debt; ii) Texas has an unlimited homestead exemption so your home cannot be touched; and iii) your retirement account assets and any retirement income is all exempt as well from their reach.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Attorney
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Thank you also for the bonus! I appreciate your kindness!
Richard, Attorney