How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 39153
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I live in The Westchester atXXXXX,

This answer was rated:

My wife and I live in The Westchester atXXXXX, NW in Washington, DC. This complex of buildings was built in 1929 and is now (since 1982) a cooperative. I am disabled (myositis) and unable to access the Lobby and The Dining Room, open to the public. The Board refuses to take the necessary action to make these spaces accessible to me. What are my rights?
[email protected]

The ADA requires that areas of public accommodation must provide disabled access. There is, however, an exception where there has been no alteration of the area involved and the cost of retrofitting is unreasonable. This is undoubtedly what the Board will argue in court. It will also likely argue that the building has historical significance, so any alteration will destroy the history preserved by maintaining the original building condition.

You can complain to the U.S. Department of Justice. I would definitely do this, before investing any money in a civil rights attorney, because if the DOJ thinks that the case can't be prosecuted, then I doubt that any private lawyer will take the case.

Click here to file a complaint.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I complain to the U.S. Department of Justice?